Wednesday 23 December 2009

The Golf Book(1932) Illustrated by Frank Reynolds

Unfortunately I haven't got the whole book - just a page from it which came framed as artwork(!) A well-known 20th Century British illustrator - the original illustrations can fetch up to £1000 or more if you are lucky enough to own one.

Born in London in 1876 and studied at Heatherley's School of Art. Worked for The London Illustrated News and Punch Magazine (I've got several Punch cartoons by him published during the First World War which I will post in the near future). After the war he became the Art Editor of the magazine until 1930.

Examples of his book illustrations are included in "The Golf Book"(1932) - where I believe these pictures came from - "Off To The Pictures"(1937) and "Hamish Mc Duff"(1937). Reynolds died in 1953.

1 comment:

  1. Can anyone tell me where Frank Reynolds, the Punch cartoonist, actually lived in London?
    My family name is Reynolds, and I believe I may be related. Perhaps, however, it would be easier to trace the family of John Reynolds, his son? Anyway, any info would be much appreciated.
    jackmeredith48@hotmail.co.uk
    PS: another note for cartoonist afficianados - my mother was billeted with the family of Sporting Sam creator Reg Wootton in Barnet during WWII.

    ReplyDelete